Several bikers are working on crafting some great rides for you. It will take a while, but will be worth the wait. On the right are some tips for biking in the Santa Ynez mountains above Santa Barbara.
- Stay Alert: Santa Barbara front country trails can be extremely crowded. Stay alert!
- Yield: Bicycles yield to all other trail users. Uphill travel has priority.
- Use a Bike Bell: Use a bike bell to let others know of your approach.
- Maintain Control: Maintain controllable speed, slow around blind corners, and ride within your limits.
- Ride Smart: Use riding techniques that minimize impacts to the trail.
- Leave No Trace: Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.
- Avoid Wet Trails: Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones, consider other options.
- Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures.
- Speak: Take the time to say “Hello” and “Passing on your Left/Right” to other trail users.
- Small Groups: Keep riding group sizes small, less than ten is recommended.
- Be Prepared for the Ride: Know your equipment and needs for the trail.
- Participate: Volunteer for trail maintenance events, you will have more trail to ride.
These tips come from the Santa Barbara Mountain Bike Volunteers. Check out their website www.sbmtv.org.